This is my (in)activity log. You might like to visit my employer
Novell which is an amazing company, and also
Dell who in days of yore provided me with a
free laptop for Gnome development / conferences.
Also if you have the time to read this sort of stuff you could enlighten
yourself by going to Unraveling Wittgenstein's net or if
you are feeling objectionable perhaps here.
Stuff Michael Meeks is doing
- Up late but slightly earlier than yesterday. Tommorow I have
a mental appointment so must be up even earlier.
- Played with bonobo, removed the gnome-vfs dependency so we
can release, and to please Mathieu Lacage. Tried to fix my mechanical
alarm clock which I managed to destroy when it woke me too early. I have
an instinctive fear of electrical clocks somehow. After fiddling with
the interesting innards for a while I got there.
- Fiddled with papers, photocopying, passport, certificates,
need to write a CV for the INS; great. Popped in to see Grandma and read
Poo Bear to her, excellent stuff.
- Ordered Pizza; a bold new branch of expenditure.
- Started prototyping my cool idea for new ORBit bindings,
this should reduce stub / skel weight and accelerate stuff; both
excellent. A touch of Frost on telly; excellent stuff; so well done it's
- Played with my new ORBit ideas, got progressively more
excited by the potential speedups and size savings, although I think
the size cost becomes per invocation instead of per stub, so perhaps
it's less of a win, I don't know, unless ... I havn't had this much
fun since, oh the ref-counting bugs. The nicest thing is that we turn
the stub into a macro which not only removes a stack frame from the
shared library case ( yet more speed ) but keeps type safety via.
the local case; two birds: 1 stone.
- Got into a big flame war with Maciej over sizing in xpdf,
grief it was hot in there, great Daemons with pitch-forks.
- Made up with Maciej ( and Darin ) again, excellent. I
wonder if married people have fights just to proove that they really
love each other after all afterwards.
- Wrote a long and dull flame bait paper to components-list
for people to half understand and hammer each other over, doh. If
that doesn't work we'll have to have the "Mdi Must Die" mail that I
restrained myself from sending till the dependencies thread stops,
which it shows no sign of doing.
- Talked to Ettore who it seems had the same idea for
ORBit stubs that I had ( although slightly differently ) which is
- Caught the milkman on his rounds and demanded more milk,
nice chap really.
- Quite time and sleep now.
- Couldn't sleep; sent addendum to my ( flawed ) sizing
discussion, and had a brainwave on the dependencies flamewar, I
just didn't want to send that mail I'm sure.
In case it's not painfully obvious: the reflections reflected here are my
own; mine, all mine ! and don't reflect the views of Novell, The
Lithuanian Gov't or Arnold Schwarzenegger. It's also important to
realise that I'm not in on the Swedish Conspiracy.
Occasionally people ask for formal photos for conferences,
Michael Meeks (email@example.com)