This is my (in)activity log. You might like to visit my employer
Novell which is an amazing company, and also
Dell who in days of yore provided me with a
free laptop for Gnome development / conferences.
Also if you have the time to read this sort of stuff you could enlighten
yourself by going to Unraveling Wittgenstein's net or if
you are feeling objectionable perhaps here.
Stuff Michael Meeks is doing
- Up: 4.30am, will I have time to commit my stuff
before heading for germany ...
- Caught the train, even managed to buy a ticket from
the nice guard, normally they try to fine you on sight.
- Read Ettore's patch for the funky toolbar, looks good
to me. Caught the plane, a close thing. a Boeing 737 with 25
passangers, rather empty.
- Polished and separated the exception reporting code.
- Looked at Ralf's Sun Ray, later demonstrations prove
this to be an extremely cool thin X server machine, apparently
so thin that they don't implement the X protocol but something
more VNC like and lightweight, but based on UDP for low latency
( sounds like a nightmare ). Anyway, a little like the AT&T
active badge + VNC stuff they have a smart card that does the
signon for them and transfers the desktop to their SunRay
- Meetings, met Colm, Paul, Markus, Torsten, Einar,
Ralf, Leylar and Brian, a big bash. Talked for a long time about
various issues, ABI mapping, interface fusing, scripting, where
CORBA falls down, XML and much more.
- Managed to fetch E-mail without anyone being
- To the Hotel, checked in. Wow, I've stayed in a few
hotels but this is incredible. 2 double beds, down pillows,
immense room, tasteful decoration, great facilities.
- Started reading IDL; flattened the overly-modularized
directory structure interesting 'service' sections
for contract specification, discovered redundant [const]
specifiers in strange places, otherwise good stuff.
- Off to the station with Ralf and Torsten and on to
the pub like place to eat. Good fun, met up with Caolan;
mythical libwv hero hacker, good chap. Had a tasty meal
and got to know the guys better, spent too much time talking
and not enough listening; grr, too much to drink.
- Back to the sumptious 'otel, played with Miguel's
digital camera a bit.
In case it's not painfully obvious: the reflections reflected here are my
own; mine, all mine ! and don't reflect the views of Novell, The
Lithuanian Gov't or Arnold Schwarzenegger. It's also important to
realise that I'm not in on the Swedish Conspiracy.
Occasionally people ask for formal photos for conferences,
Michael Meeks (firstname.lastname@example.org)