This is my (in)activity log. You might like to visit my employer
Novell which is an amazing company, and also
Dell who in days of yore provided me with a
free laptop for Gnome development / conferences.
Also if you have the time to read this sort of stuff you could enlighten
yourself by going to Unraveling Wittgenstein's net or if
you are feeling objectionable perhaps here.
Stuff Michael Meeks is doing
- Up early, off to the 9.00am service, Gorden -
very good: The Lion of the tribe of Judah from
- In the passage, 'I' is sometimes God, and
sometimes Jacob - it being obvious from the context
Gather around so I can tell you what will happen to
you in days to come. (vs. 1)
- The passage is Jacob's will, and spiritual
- Ruben the first born is first; starts
pleasantly, but he is disinherited for sleeping with his step-mother.
He was not caught in the act - forfeiting his life, but lost his
- So why mention it all ? well, in modern terms apparently
if you want to disinherit someone, they must be mentioned in the
will - otherwise it can be contested.
- Simeon and Levi the next 2 sons, also
disqualified. This was all detailed in
Genesis 34 where, having defiled Diana Shechem did the right
thing by her - and went to great lengths to marry her, and Simeon and Levi
decieved, and slaughtered them all.
- Although there is no mention of God's displeasure with S&L
recorded in scripture at that point - often things are so bad as to
not need a divine moral footnote 'that was bad'. Here, sometime later
on Jacob's deathbed we get the verdict:
Cursed be their anger, so fierce, and their fury, so cruel!
I will scatter them in Jacob and disperse them in Israel.
ie. the sin is hated, not the sinners; but they are punished.
- And Simeon had no separate inheritance in the promised land,
and the Levites had no inheritance either.
- So how can God's punishment on these brothers decendants be irrevocable ?
- God is the soverign judge who rules.
- But ... God can turn a curse into a blessing,
- Of all the tribes Levi repented
at Mount Sinai with the golden calf incident. And God who is unchanging
didn't reverse his punishment - but instead He was their
inheritance and the Levites became the holy priesthood.
- So truly
God works to turn all things for the good of those who believe.
- Judah - the 4th Son ( his name derived from 'Praise' ) gets the
blessing from Jacob.
- He will be like a Lion - the king of the beasts.
- The sceptre will not depart from Judah until
he comes to whom it belongs and indeed all the kings
from David onwards were from the line of Judah - until
the King of Kings came.
- Tethering a donkey to a vine ( which is a valuable
thing and takes several years to grow and breaks easily )
is a picture of superabundant prosperity.
- So why Judah ?
- Ruben committed sexual Sin,
- Simeon & Levi killed their near brother in law,
- But, Judah also a sinner.
- Suggests selling his brother Joseph to Egypt
- Marries a cananite woman,
- Sleeps with what he thinks is a prostitute
but is actualy his daughter in law Tamar.
- So what is the difference ? why him ?
- By no means a sinless life
- But a tender concience and repentence
- Of Tamar - a women who deserved death he
She is more righteous than I
- By the time Joseph sees Judah again in Egypt he offers
himself as a substitutionary prisoner in place of his
brother Benjamin, for his Father's sake.
- Again with David - Judah's offspring, a man after God's own heart,
- He admits
that he was wrong - as he is deflected from killing Naban
- After taking Bathsheba and confronted by Nathan the prophet he
I have sinned against the LORD.
- So God doesn't look for the perfect life, the spotless hero, but instead humility,
repentance and faith.
- It is this same tenderness of concience that lets Paul
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full
acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save
sinners -- of whom I am the worst.
- Larry Ewing arrived - great to catch up with him.
- Dinner with Chris at 'DunWells' steak-house (
strangely they didn't serve steak on Sundays ).
- Off to church in the evening with Iain.
- Honeydew dohnuts and bed very early.
In case it's not painfully obvious: the reflections reflected here are my
own; mine, all mine ! and don't reflect the views of Novell, The
Lithuanian Gov't or Arnold Schwarzenegger. It's also important to
realise that I'm not in on the Swedish Conspiracy.
Occasionally people ask for formal photos for conferences,
Michael Meeks (firstname.lastname@example.org)