First page Back Continue Last page Overview Graphics
Crazy (kernel?) ideas ...
It pays to burn lots of CPU cycles to improve I/O
- Desktop machines run only 1 task => no elevation etc.
Filesystem metadata sizes:
- 4Gb plain OpenSUSE Gnome install on sda1: 16Mb of .xml
- compressed (gzip): 2.6Mb => 0.065% - omits permissions, metadata etc. true: but these are perhaps highly compressible.
- Assuming a linear scaling; 32Mb of memory would describe 50Gb of disk. linear scaling – better than linear expected (?) [ use a flash device ? ]
- Why read a directory or inode ever again ?
Transparent block re-mapping (eg. FSFS)
Late block allocation, opensize ...
Filesystem / layout hints for package install
- trylink / “watch me”; have a 'foo_magic_test_init' symbol(?)
- Almost all systems install serially, help the FS do layout better ?